– Two interchangeable lenses
– 10k Lux output
– Large lightface
– Adjustable tilt
– Two different brightness settings
– No timer
– Expensive replacement bulbs
– Notoriously faulty bulbs
– Slightly unstable
- USA BASED – Verilux, with over 60 years as your Healthy Lighting Company, is the creator of the original HappyLight brand with live customer support located in Vermont.
- UV-FREE, FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT – Delivers up to 10,000 lux (light level) intensity for effective light therapy. Lens dimension: 41 sq in.
- PERSONALIZED SETTINGS, BROAD SURFACE AREA – This light therapy lamp offers 2 interchangeable lenses: High-Energy and Comfort Optix Glare-Control for reduced eye fatigue and strain and 2 brightness levels for maximum comfort. Large lens size with a tilt feature for more efficient light therapy sessions; use with stand or mount on the wall.
- IMPROVE SLEEP, MOOD, FOCUS, ENERGY – Bright light from the HappyLight Full Size light therapy lamp provides signals to the body to help you feel energized, focused, and revitalized.
- SAFE AND NATURAL LIGHT THERAPY – Non-invasive and drug-free; perfect for office workers, seniors, shift work, jet lag, insomnia, and sunlight deprivation.
Analysis and review
Verilux, Inc was founded in 1956 and specializes in therapy lights for seasonal affective disorder. They have numerous options on the market and aim to provide lights that are good for the Earth as well as victims of seasonal affective disorder.
Look and Design
The Happylight 10k is taller than the smaller 5k model and provides a front-centered sliding switch. There are two different brightness settings and two different diffusing panels that are easy to snap on and off the unit. The base is rounded and sits in a sort of cradle supported by two feet. It is slightly unstable but not bulky or heavy. The lamp measures 6.25 inches wide, 2 inches thick and 13 inches tall, including the 10-inch lightface. The design is a soft white plastic – it doesn’t look clinical but it’s a fairly straightforward design all the same.
This lamp is very well packaged and simple to set up and use.
The manual provides good instructions. Verilux recommends sitting 10 inches from the light to get the full effect.
Setup and Ease of Use
This lamp only needs to be plugged in to be used. The power switch is a sliding button located on the front with two brightness settings. To change between the two lenses, you only need to unsnap the existing lens and snap the other one on. This is also how you change the bulb.
The Verilight Happylight Liberty 10k lux is much larger than the 5k lux version and comes with some much-needed quality upgrades. It puts out he promised 10k Lux at approximately 8 inches, which means that the light has to be rather close to your face to put out the promised intensity. Sitting any further from the light will mean you will need longer sessions to produce the same effect.
The unit is made of two pieces, with a curved base that snaps into a cradle with two supporting feet. Despite this, it doesn’t seem very well balanced and is a bit unstable. The base is only 6 inches wide so it doesn’t balance well at times. However, the lamp is lightweight and does not seem bulky.
This lamp is extremely popular and has a good reputation for a reason. Despite some minor complaints in design and function, the light is effective and puts out the promised full-spectrum 5500k light temperature. The face of the light is a full ten inches, which is a nicely-sized surface area for the size of the light.
Unfortunately, it seems that the bulbs can sometimes be faulty. Customer service immediately contacted me upon ordering with a disclaimer that the bulb might be broken in transit. They offer a replacement at no extra charge if this happens. There also seems to be a phenomenon where the bulb is faulty and ceases to function. Verilux also offers free replacement if this happens.
This lamp comes with two separate diffusing panels that are easily installed. The first ‘lens’ gives off a pinkish light and does not provide 10k Lux. The high energy lens is definitely harsher and does deliver the promised lux. It’s very nice to have two different filters as well as two brightness settings. It makes this light highly customizable depending on your preferences.
The bulb for the Happylight is fluorescent rather than LED, which means that at some point it will need a replacement bulb. Verilux does sell these bulbs, but they cost $25 plus shipping, which is definitely something to consider when purchasing this lamp.
However, the lamp itself is effective, works well, and blocks 100% of unwanted UV rays. Verilux has excellent customer service so any issues will be addressed quickly and to the customer’s satisfaction.
The tilt of the light face is adjustable and the brightness settings are easy to identify. It’s worth noting that you have to brace the lamp in order to change the brightness setting, as the switch slides instead of changing with an actual button. This is a minor inconvenience unless you have the lamp in a strange place. The lamp is also wall-mountable.